Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The power of nature

It is fitting that I write this blog while there is a huge thunderstorm raging outside. I love the power of nature and weather. I am addicted to following storms and hurricanes on the radar and seeing images of tornados etc. Hurricane season has begun again in this part of the world. Last year was a quiet one, there are predictions this year will have a number of big hurricanes. The news programs here all try to out-do each other with the most high-tech radar systems and weather reporting. Due to Houston being so amazingly flat, there always seems to be so much sky which leads to amazing clouds and storms.

Sydney has definitely had its share of horrific storms lately. I hope everyone is coping ok. I was reading about the waterspout seen off Bondi last week. Very cool (SMH article 1 and SMH article 2). While searching SMH website I came across this huge waterspout seen in April this year near Wollongong. Then footage on YouTube of a waterspout off Croatia:



G travels to Somersby occasionally for work and has travelled many times over the road that collapsed in the storm and claimed lives. In fact some of his work colleagues would have used that road earlier that day. While up near Newcastle G dropped by to take his own photos of the beached ship. This one was one of his favourites. To paraphrase G: "I think the ship's captain failed to notice the no parking sign"

6 comments:

Mz. B.Trousers said...

That's such a cool ship pic!!! I hadn't seen G's pics yet.
I'm a fan of the signs in the photo - makes for The Funny.

I hope you don't get evacuated this year.

Never Jam said...

My family were more scared for me that I was during Rita. I was very lucky and didn't have too much of a traumatic time. I had three days off work and ACL music festival to go to!!

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Yeah, but you had all the facts and we just had little bits, and concern. And then the story inventing, as we've talked about before.
All the facts = no time for fantasy! good for the brains and soul.
I wanna music fetival in my weather warning moments! Lucky bugga!

Never Jam said...

Too True. I am definitely guilty of over active brain syndrome.

I was also rather panicky about my folks when I heard about Newcastle and the central coast.

GB said...

Love that pic. Made me laugh.

Nature really is a force to be reckoned with, innit? What with all those whirlpools that can drag huge ships toward each other and they don't drown in them for 20 whole minutes and pull unsuspecting calamari types to their doooom...

Hee, hee, he. Oh, I crack myself up!

Seriously, though, Nature is tres cool.

Mz. B.Trousers said...

Ah, sweety? that was a film...